You must be in possession of a passport which is valid for at least
one year. You need obtain a study visa from a South African Embassy,
Consulate or High Commission in your home country. study visas can
take 4-8 weeks to process and it is advisable to apply for study visa
well in advance.
You need the following documents to apply for a study visa:
- A letter of acceptance from UKZN
- A letter from the university in support of your study visa
- The relevant application fee (this will depend on the Embassy in your country)
- Proof of financial means
- Proof of a South African medical health cover**
- Proof of residence in South Africa
- Yellow fever vaccination (if coming from / traveling through an endemic country)
- A police clearance certificate (Not more than 3 months old)
- Repatriation fee or a return ticket (Original proof of payment)
- Valid study visa (When Renewing)
For more information, please consult the Embassy, High Commission or Consulate in your country.
arriving at UKZN, you will need to produce the following documents to
the International Student Office in order to obtain a Certificate of
Clearance for purpose of academic registration:
- Study Visa and
- Proof of a South African medical aid cover**
**Medical health cover, must cover you for atleast ONE year or for the duration of your study that is listed on the UKZN website.