1.   How do I find accommodation on campus?

Please refer to the following website 

2.   Who do I call in the case of an emergency?

Please go to the following http://rms.ukzn.ac.za/EmergencyContacts.aspx

3.   Do I need to provide proof of English Language Requirements?
Yes. The University of KwaZulu-Natal is an English-medium university.  Its language policy requires that all applicants, who are not from an English speaking country or have not been educated in an English speaking country, must demonstrate competence in English through one of the following:
  • A pass in an examination equivalent to English Higher Grade (First of Second Language) at South African Senior Certificate level (matriculation).
  • Equivalencies are established by the South African Matriculation Board.<>A pass in English at GCE A-level, or O-level (C symbol or higher), or International Baccalaureate.International applicants who do not satisfy these requirements, and for whom English is a foreign language must either:
    • Attain an overall score of 7.0 (for graduate students) or 6.0 (for undergraduates) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).  For information on IELTS test dates, venues and costs, contact the British Council through your closest British Embassy or Consulate, or consult www.britishcouncil.org.
    • Attain a test score of at least 550 on the paper version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a score of at least 80 on the iBT (electronic) version of the test.  For information about test dates, venues and costs, contact the United States Information Service (USIS) or the US embassy in you home country; or contact TOEFL direct at toefl@ets.org.  Website: www.toefl.org.

The UKZN Language Centre provides a testing service and English language courses for those who do not meet these requirements.  After testing, students whose scores are comparable to the required IELTS or TOEFL scores can apply directly to enter a degree programme. Those who do not are advised to spend one or two semesters learning
English in the Language Centre
For further information on Language Centre services, course costs, etc., please contact:

The Secretary   The Coordinator
Language Centre   Language Centre
University of KwaZulu-Natal   Access Programme
Private Bag  X01   Howard College Campus
Scottsville   University of KwaZulu-Natal
Pietermaritzburg  3209   Durban 4041

Tel: +27 33 2605308   Tel: +27 31 2601130
Fax: +27 33 2605308   Fax: +27 31 2602967
Email: kerchhoffj@ukzn.ac.za   email: dace@ukzn.ac.za

4.   When will I receive my academic transcripts?
Your academic transcript will be mailed to your University within three weeks after the UKZN examination results are released. However, please ensure that you do not owe any outstanding fees; else your results will not be released.

5.   Do I need to have Health Insurance before I register at UKZN?
In terms of the Immigration Amendment Act 19 of 2004 any prospective student to the Republic of South Africa, must provide proof of medical cover with a medical scheme registered in terms of the Medical Schemes Act, 1998 Act 131 of 1998.
Although some insurance products may be accepted to secure a study visa, be they South African or other wise, the University of the KwaZulu-Natal only accepts South African Medical Aid products approved in terms of the Medical Aid Schemes Act referred to above.
To comply with the regulations, the University requires proof of full Medical Aid cover with a South African based medical aid scheme for the full calendar year, until 30 November of that year. Such cover must cover the minimum of hospitalisation, emergencies and day-to-day cover including medicine and doctor’s visits.
It is thus advisable to make the necessary financial arrangements for the medical aid cover prior to your entry into South Africa. Should you rely on sponsorship, please ensure that you advise your sponsor of this requirement as soon as you get sponsorship or acceptance. It is not sufficient for any student to produce a letter indicating medical cover sponsorship. The sponsor must organise payment for the required medical aid cover directly to the Medical Aid Company, separate to that of the tuition fees.
Students will not receive a Clearance Certificate unless they can show proof of a valid and comprehensive medical aid cover, without a Clearance Certificate they cannot register at the Institution.

6.   How do I obtain a Study Permit?
International students need to produce the following documents to the International Student Office in order to obtain a Certificate of Clearance for purpose of academic registration:

  • Students must be in possession of a passport which is valid for at least one year.
  • Study Permit must be obtained from a South African Embassy, Consulate or High Commission in the student’s home country. Study permits can take 4-8 weeks to process and it is advisable to make study permit applications well in advance.
  • Proof of medical health cover.

The eligibility of international students for study permits will depend on the assessment of the following documents:

  •     A valid passport
  •     A letter of acceptance from the university concerned
  •     A letter from the university in support of your visa/study permit
  •     An application fee of R 425.00
  •     Proof of sufficient funds
  •     Medical reports
  •     Proof of medical insurance
  •     Yellow fever vaccination (if relevant)
  •     A police clearance certificate
  •     Repatriation fee

The conditions of entry and stay in South Africa for all international students is that they should have in their possession a valid study permit issued in terms of the South African Immigration Act, 2002

Contact Webmaster | View the Promotion of Access to Information Act | View our Privacy Policy
© University of KwaZulu-Natal: All Rights Reserved