International Students - Documents required for registration

You will need to produce the following documents to the International Student Office (ISO) in order to obtain a Certificate of Clearance for the purpose of academic registration:

  • Certified copy of a passport
  • certified copy of study Visa and
  • Proof of a South African medical health cover (please refer to the information below)
  • ISO form (obtained from your School or ISO offices)
  • Refugee/Asylum Seeker Status document for Refugees and Asylum Seekers

Please send the above documents to the following ISOs:

Howard College and Medical School Campuses

Mr Daniel Kubelwa Tel: +27 31 260

Pietermaritzburg Campus

Ms Nombuso Mtshali - Tel: +27 33 260 5194 -

Westville Campus and Edgewood Campus

Mr Christain Ishimwe - Tel: +27 31 260 8223 - 

Medical Health Cover

It is compulsory for you to obtain one of the UKZN recommended medical health covers which are CompCare and Momentum Health. You will be required to pay for the full calendar year, i.e. from 01 January to 31 December of that year or for 5 months if you will be spending one semester at the university.

Medical Health Cover is one of the requirements when applying for a study visa at the South African High Commission in your country. Please be advised that without Medical Health Cover you will not be granted a study visa. It is thus advisable to make the necessary financial arrangements for the medical health cover prior to applying for a study visa.

The contact details for the medical schemes recommended by UKZN are as follows:


Web address

Contact Email

CompCare Wellness

Momentum Health


For more information on Medical Aid please contact Absa Brokers


Consultant Name

Contact Number

Contact Email

Geshal Chettiar

+27 (0) 76 062 3739

Debbie Pretorius

+27 (0) 31 566 8400


Special Cases

Post graduate students who are residing out of South Africa. Schools/supervisors must provide a written confirmation to the International Office. This must be submitted to the International office together with an affidavit (written by a student) and a certified copy of passport.

There is an exception for students who are using a work permit if they are not full time students. This must submitted together with a certified passport copy and a letter from the company that they are working for.

Contact Webmaster | View the Promotion of Access to Information Act | View our Privacy Policy
© University of KwaZulu-Natal: All Rights Reserved